We couldn’t think of a more perfect addition to our Spring Series than this flourless Persian Love Cake by Maddy Trueman. With notes of orange, rose and pistachio, this cake is as delicious as it is pretty.
Persian Love Cake
3 1/4 cup almond meal
1 1/4 cup coconut sugar
125g butter, softened
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 free range eggs
1 cup natural yoghurt or coconut yoghurt
Zest of two oranges
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cardamon
1/3 cup pistachios, chopped
Orange and Rosewater Syrup
Juice of two oranges
2 tbsp coconut sugar
1 tbsp rosewater
Rose petals, to decorate
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees fan forced. Grease and line a small round cake tin.
2. Add almond meal, coconut sugar, butter and salt to a food processor. Blitz until the mixture comes together and resembles a fine breadcrumb.
3. Remove half the mixture from the food processor and press down to form an even layer at the base of the cake tin.
4. Add eggs, yoghurt, orange zest, nutmeg, cinnamon and cardamon to the remaining mixture in the food processor. Blitz until smooth. Pour mixture into the cake tin and top with the pistachios.
5. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden. To check if the cake is cooked, insert a skewer into the centre of the cake, if it comes out relatively clean then the cake is ready.
6. Allow to cool then carefully remove from the cake tin.
7. Add orange juice, coconut sugar and rosewater to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes. Use a pastry brush to brush syrup over cake then decorate with rose petals. Cut slices of cake and serve with yoghurt. Enjoy
Get in touch with Maddy:
instagram | @maddytrueman